Sunday, January 12, 2014

Shout out #1

Doing something a bit different.  Oftentimes we progress through our daily activities and we do not give people the acknowledgement &/or recognition I think they deserve.  Yes we tell individuals they do a great job but do we tell them they really do a GREAT JOB!? Allow me to answer that for you....No we do not!


This post focuses primarily on some local talent.  I pride myself on having a musical ear and the ability to recognize someone with a GOD GIVEN TALENT that needs exposure or at least a swift kick in the right direction.  I'm not a promoter by any means, but the few that I touch upon in this post deserve some recognition. 


I met someone approximately 7 years ago who touched my heart in many ways. He and his family have always welcomed me with open arms. Between late night talks, barbecues, dinners, etc. he's always been a wonderful friend. Our first encounter provided me with the knowledge that this, 7 years ago twenty something young man had an Old Soul. His Tag Name, Punk Drummer...yes he loves Punk Rock, being a huge fan of The Bouncing Souls. However with Douglas Thron being a drummer I feel he is an even BIGGER FAN of Ahmir Thompson or as many know him as QUESTLOVE. I've listened to Doug play and for someone without any formal training I find him to be a beast.  Funny thing is when I listen to him play, though he is  currently playing with a Punk Rock Band in New York, his talent would be better served playing Jazz. Not a surprise as he spends many hours listening to Miles Davis and Charlie Parker. I love this guy! No one like him!


Another young man that is paving his way in the world as an Audio Engineer, Singer/Songwriter, Model and whatever else he puts his mind to is Kevon Smith. A very gifted and humble young man. Featured on Majic 102.3. Has graced the stage with Kim Burrell and Donnie McClurkin to name a few. You can check out this gentleman at artistecard.com/Kevon.


December 13, 2013 I had the pleasure of hearing the Angelic voice of Angela Braden. A beautiful young lady whose talent is multi-faceted. She belted out the holiday classics right along with tunes for the grown and sexy.  From Etta James' "At Last" to Ledisi's "I Blame You".  Her voice is one to be recognized as pure unadulterated talent.  No cosmetics involved.  Just a beautiful natural voice to soothe the savage beast.  She brings a much needed freshness to the tri-county.  She has a voice and style that you would most likely hear in a quaint jazz club in DC. So trust and believe to hear such an angelic voice in my area is a breath of fresh air.  So when the opportunity arises, check her out with FOR FRIENDS.   


~~~Skin I'm In~~~



No comments:

Post a Comment