Sunday, July 10, 2011

A Father's Love

Waking to the sound of the deepest voice in the house. 
One of the faces you see when you take your first step as a toddler.
The hand that reaches out to help you up when you wreck your bicycle once the training wheels have been removed.
The voice you hear in the stands cheering you on during a sandlot game.  "That's MY SON", "That's MY GIRL!". 
The one that bellows "That's not what we learned.  You know what I taught you!!! Let's make it happen!"
The third base coach in a softball game yelling "Dig, Dig, Dig!!!!" as you round third heading home.
The voice beside you in the passenger seat of the car trying to direct you while learning to drive a car, bellowing "STOP, STOP, STOP the damn car! You just added white walls to the tires. Get out, I'm driving!"
The voice of the man that puts the fear of GOD in his daughter's first date. "Don't make me dust my daughter for finger prints or any other substances when you get back!", as he answers the door with a machete in one hand and a chain saw in the other. 
The Man with his chest as high as the heavens when his son comes home with a four foot trophy and plaque acknowledging  he broke three cinder blocks with his bare hands.
The feeling of a father's embrace when you walk across the stage at graduation. 
The love you see in his eyes the day of your wedding. 

Funny....I'm unable to equate many of the moments mentioned to a father's love.  Those seem like moments that are monumental in a child's life.

My father's love is based solely on memories. 
Seeing my Dad stand beside his Dodge Charger or the Green Volkswagen Beetle.  The Beetle would creep me out a bit, only because it was always covered by caterpillars that fell from the trees.  Yuck!!

Finding out that my Dad was Santa Claus and racing my AFX Slot cars on the AFX Race Track that was in the dining and living room floor. 

Watching my Dad play recreational basketball and softball with his coworkers from Norfolk and Western Railways.  Spending time with him at work, walking across the breezeway that hovered over the train tracks. 

Listening to my Dad chuckle when I fell from my bike after he removed the training wheels.  A bit beside himself I might add.  I did fine until I realized he was no longer behind me.

Remembering his horizontal striped shirts which were ugly, his KOOL cigarettes, PBR's and Budweiser. I thought cigarettes labeled KOOL were kind of Cool and I remember the Pabst Blue Ribbon cans. 

The talks that were had prior to going out shopping.  Really it was my Dad & Mom talking, "Don't ask for nothin' because you ain't gettin' nothin'!"

The major fishing trip that my Dad & I took.  A charter on the Chesapeake Bay.  I didn't bait my hook, but I definitely caught the bulk of the fish.  Fun Times!

The deepest memory, seeing my father, a marine and Vietnam vet lying in uniform in a casket. He looked so handsome and sharp.  His expression, one of peace and love.  At the age of six one would not imagine that the expression of peace would make such a lasting impression, but for me it has. My Father's Love!! I'm fortunate to see my father every time I see my brother.  He could be my Dad's twin. 

For those of you that have the classic family household, don't take it for granted.  Cherish it!!!! When your father is around to watch and participate in your growth by leaps and bounds.  Embrace the love.  Don't push him away, include him in your thoughts and activities.  For the father's that for some reason or another opt not to be in the lives of their children, try changing before it's too late. 

Peace and Enjoy Your Father's Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment