Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Am I Black Enough?

"They are impressed with your skills; your experience, your work ethic and integrity.  Your ability to articulate your vision is unparalleled.  However your expertise would be better suited at a more formal and structured establishment. We apologize but you are a bit too businesslike for this area. We would rather have your expertise in our much larger and affluent facility"

Yes the above statement was uttered by an African American in a direct conversation with yours truly. The finished product ending in "You're just not black enough!"

Is there an essential 'Black Identity'?  What defines a real black man or woman? Never ceases to amaze me how different behaviors, speech, sexual orientation class or complexion have rendered some 'NOT BLACK ENOUGH' .  Grant it as a culture we are a sizzling pot of gumbo. Overflowing with shrimp, chicken, crayfish, sausage, onions, okra, hell we're just full of richness. 

So as I revel in my richness, has my BLACKNESS CARD been revoked because I articulate my words, forming complete sentences all while expressing a thought without utilizing the phrase 'You Know What I'm Saying, Umm,...'? 

Should my BLACKNESS CARD be revoked because I choose to use the word RUMINATE v. CONTEMPLATE? Oh no wait a minute let me simplify it further for those that need it broken down & forever to be broke RUMINATE v. THINK. 

Is there someone that runs the floor in the DEPARTMENT OF BLACK AUTHENTICITY that is going to authenticate my blackness?  If so I look forward to meeting with you. 

Let the record show I did find this conversation amusing and complimentary within the same thought. However please note I will not dumb down to be accepted.

~~ Skin I'm In~~


No comments:

Post a Comment